In the recent times, Sri Lanka is rapidly expanding and modernizing its Express ways and High ways. If you are a Sri Lankan Expatriate and visiting Colombo after staying long time abroad, be warned as lot of important roads are converted in to one way - single flow - route to ease the heavy traffic around the Colombo city. Also many roads are with new names.
In the morning and evening some roads used to take one lane of the left side for right side driving by the police. So there will be three lanes going towards to Colombo in the mornings and three lanes will be used in the evenings too. So when crossing a road use only the white line crossing (Earlier it was Yellow Line) with the assistance of the nearby Police officers.
- Many flyovers are available in Colombo that will allow you to travel without waiting for the signals, at some junctions.
- There are many European style roundabouts that are inter-connecting Express ways and highways.
- If you want to drive a vehicle, specially in Colombo get a clear knowledge of those streets and signal posts and follow the police officers orders to avoid heavy fines.
- Some times in the morning (7 - 9 Am) out bound roads of the city will be allowed to use one lane for the incoming traffic (3 lanes used) to ease the incoming traffic.
- Follow the police officers instructions at the pedestrian crossings before crossing a main road (wide road).
- In Sri Lanka it is prohibited to use mobile phone while driving vehicle or walking.
- It is prohibited to use mobile phone next to the railway tracks.
- Parking is allowed only in the specially designed areas only. (Public parking fees and tickets may apply at some place)
- Bicycles riding in the night time must have front lights and rear reflectors.
- Those who want to use the Expressways must pay the fee at the toll post when leaving it.
- Expressways are designed to allow 100 Kmph speed drive only.
- Riding motorcycles, bicycles and trishaws are not allowed in the Expressways. Violators will be fined.
- All the important places and the junctions are fitted with CCTV cameras and being recorded while officers will monitor them online to arrest any wrong doers or violators.
- Many roads in the Jaffna city had been made in to one way for vehicles. Even riding a bicycle is against the law and can be prosecuted.
- Foreigners can obtain temporary driving license for a short time in Sri Lanka by producing their country license.